Pages

Friday 28 December 2012

Finally... time to blog!

You've probably guessed that the last couple of weeks of term became increasingly manic.  I tried to keep reading your posts and commenting but I completely ran out of time when it came to posting on my own blog.  Anyway, here's a quick summary of the last few weeks..

There were concerts and Year 11 Parents Evening (on the PENULTIMATE night of term - stupid school!)  There were also pre-Christmas meals and drinks with family and friends AND a trip to see Mark's Dad and Brother in Oxford.

In the middle of all of this I was crocheting like made to finish a blanket.  I made it as a Christmas present for my friend who showed me how to crochet back in March.  I made a label which read "For my Teacher" - she was really delighted with it!


My Mother-in-Law stayed from the 24th ~ 27th so the whole house had to be nice and tidy.  She's actually pretty relaxed about these things but I like my visitors to feel as if I've made a bit of effort.


Mark was responsible for the tree.  He likes lots of lights - this year there are over 300!  Thomas is transfixed every evening by all the twinkles!

We had Christmas Eve at my house then went to my Sister's for Christmas Day.  This is the table set for 9 of us at my Sister's house. 

 
On Boxing Day we loaded Mark's Mum and my Parents into the old Discovery and went for a picnic.  The weather was a little unrealiable so we went up to Ironbridge and went for a short walk by the river.  Here's Mark and his Mum on the famous 'iron bridge'...


 
We were surprised that there seemed so many people around on a cold mid-winter day.  Then we realised that they'd come to see some lady Morris Dancers, who were clearly maintaining a local tradition and dancing on the bridge on Boxing Day...
 
 
Since my Mother-in-Law went home yesterday I've been making the most of a few days of 'R+R'.  It's been too wet to walk long distances so I've curled up on the sofa and started one of my Christmas books.  I've also started to crochet another blanket with some wool from the stash.  We went into Worcester this morning and had a little look at the Sales.  Mark spent some Christmas money on a much reduced PS3 Game but I wasn't really inspired to spend my money.  Most of the shops appeared to have dragged anything that needed 'clearing' onto the rails but there weren't any bargains.

In the end we left the shops and went down by the river to walk by the floods.  Fortunately the flood defences seem to be doing their job and people's homes and businesses are dry.

Now I'm back in the 'blogosphere' and catching up on all your news. 

Season's Greetings to you all!  Jx

9 comments:

  1. Sounds as if you had a lovely christmas! We did too, went out for christmas lunch with my eldest son and his family so it was a nice easy day for me. I havent bothered with the sales much either, I hate all the crowds and jostling. Have a wonderful new year anyway and hopefully you will enjoy a few more days of rest before term starts again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've had a busy, but lovely, Christmas. I can't believe that Parents Evening was scheduled for the penultimate night of term, whoever arranged that obviously has nothing better to do at Christmas. What a lovely blanket you made for your friend, a really lovely gesture as she taught you to crochet. Glad you've enjoyed your Christmas. We had my mum and dad over for Christmas Day, but apart from that it's been rather quiet, which is just how I like it. I haven't ventured out to the sales, but then I never do, I hate the crowds, and the rails of reduced items end up looking like a jumble sale so I don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous blanket and such a nice gift to the friend who taught you how to crochet. Your sister's table is set beautifully. I'm so glad you had a wonderful Christmas. Family is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan,
    It sounds like a wonderful time was had by all.....and you got some time to relax a bit.
    Your tree and the table setting are so pretty.
    What a lovely gift for your "teacher" I'll bet she loved it.
    Have a blessed New Year.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely holiday you had. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about you and family at this time of year ... we all knew where you had got to! Glad to see it was a good time had by all. I love the colours in the blanket, so pretty. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and yours. Hugs Sue xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you'll be glad of some time to yourself now. Your blanket is lovely and the tree looks fabulous.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good holiday. Hope you have some more time to read, crochet and get out and about just now. I would like to take up crocheting and someone has offered to teach me when I see her in the new year. It's on my wish list for something relaxing to do and make useful items. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a good time over Christmas - love the blanket colours by the way. Best wishes to you for the new year, and looking forward to enjoying more posts.

    ReplyDelete