Pages

Monday 9 January 2012

"Weekending.."

This weekend we took my parents away for a weekend in Bristol.  This January 'mini-break' has become a bit of a tradition.  My parents started dating at the beginning of January 1961 and Mark and I started seeing each other at the beginning of January 1985.  We call this our 'Going-out-iversary' celebrations.  Bristol is fabulous for a January weekend away - especially if the weather is kind.  This is the second time that we've visited the city at this time and it just doesn't disappoint.  This year I got a fantastic deal at the Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel (£95 per room for B+B!)


This is the front of the hotel, facing on to the Cathedral Green. It's really conveniently situated for all the shops, but we spent most of our time walking round the city and making the most of the sights, free museums and galleries. 


On Saturday morning Mum and Dad used their bus passes to get up to the Clifton Suspension Bridge while Mark and I walked off our full English breakfast!  We met them on Clifton Down and went to explore this landmark...


I didn't know much about the history of the bridge until we walked over to the small visitor information kiosk on the far side.  The ladies there were fantastically friendly and helpful and there was loads of information to read.  It was free too!

I was particularly taken with the gorgeous carving on this house and the way it gleamed in the winter sunlight...


After we had crossed the bridge again we 'mooched our way' through the street of Clifton and back towards the Museum and Art Gallery for a light lunch.  Suitably fortified, Mum and I then tackled the Cath Kidston 50% sale... the only bit of real shopping that we did all weekend!


On Sunday morning we were tourists in the harbour area.  We visited the 'M-shed' - the city museum that was opened last summer.  This is the view from the top of the building.. 


I took masses of photos of the cranes that form part of the display outside the building.  I don't think I managed to get the right 'arty' shot but I enjoyed trying.


We then walked along the quay.  This was a view of the cathedral through the modern developments.  The picture probably needs cropping but I think it works...


We walked along to the SS Great Britain and I took some pictures through the gates. 


We didn't pay to go round the exhibition this time - we've got to save something for our next visit!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a lovely weekend. My hubby often visits Bristol with work, but hasn't done the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend! I like Bristol, last time we were there we looked around the SS Great Britain and also The Red House Museum an almost hidden Tudor House both fascinating:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan,
    Thanks for visiting my blog today and taking the time to leave a comment.I've never been to Bristol and enjoyed my little tour through your pictures and words. Sounds like a good time was had by all.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete